1. Eddie Irvine (Britain) Ferrari: ``We can really start to think about winning the constructors' championship as well as the drivers'. We weren't so sure before.''
2. Mika Salo (Finland) Ferrari: ``That is the best result of my Formula One career. When I saw P1 on my pitboard, I could not believe it. It is a shame it was only for such a short time.''
3. Heinz-Harald Frentzen (Germany) Jordan: ``For me to finish on the podium and to win points for the first time at Hockenheim is really great. I always wanted to do well here.''
4. Ralf Schumacher (Germany) Williams: ``Fourth is a great achievement for the whole team after a very difficult weekend.''
5. David Coulthard (Britain) McLaren: ``I had no intention of overtaking Mika Salo at the point where we collided. He braked quite early in front of me and I went to the inside to avoid hitting him. But, we touched and I lost part of my front wing.''
6. Olivier Panis (France) Prost: ``I am happy to score a point, disappointed not to have done better. It was that sort of race.''
- - - -
7. Alexander Wurz (Austria) Benetton: ``I was sliding around a lot and fighting everyone and seventh is frustrating result.''
8. Jean Alesi (France) Sauber: ``I hit the back of Panis's car...on the first lap and had to pit for a new nose at the end of the first lap. Then I just pushed hard.''
9. Marc Gene (Spain) Minardi: ``I did a pretty good start but during the first laps I was hit by Villeneuve first and then by Zonta and I think something happened.''
10.Luca Badoer (Italy) Minardi: Had brake and clutch problems.
11. Johnny Herbert (Britain) Stewart: ``I was confident of finishing fifth after fighting up the field but then I had a gearbox problem.''
12.Pedro de la Rosa (Spain) Arrows: retired on lap 38 when he spun off track and hit tyre wall.
13.Mika Hakkinen (Finland) McLaren: ``I had a reasonable lead before my pit stop, but there was a problem with the fuel nozzle which cost me time. Then my new left rear tyre failed one and a half laps later and threw me into a spin and out of the race.''
14.Alex Zanardi (Italy) Williams: ``Something was wrong with my car from the first lap. It was seizing and I was losing more and more speed.''
15.Ricardo Zonta (Brazil) BAR: Retired lap 21 after having a new front wing fitted and then losing power.
16.Tora Takagi (Japan) Arrows: engine failure on lap 16
17.Damon Hill (Britain) Jordan: ``I had braking problems. We changed materials between the warm-up and the race. I found it difficult to stop the car and it locked up badly three times. I thought it was pointless to continue.''
18.Jarno Trulli (Italy) Prost: ``I was going well after a good start when the engine seized and I had to retire.''
19.Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy) Benetton: ``I went off the track early on and this probably damaged my front suspension which later forced me to retire.''
20.Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Stewart: Retired after six laps. ``Great while it lasted. I felt I could challenge for third but in the end I had no throttle and no gearbox.''
21.Pedro Diniz (Brazil) Sauber: ``At the start I was hit from behind and the next thing I knew I was heading into the tyre wall... At least Jacques (Villeneuve) came and apologised. He said he had been hit by another car.''
22.Jacques Villeneuve (Canada) BAR: ``It was quite chaotic at the first
turn. I touched the brakes slightly and the rear went light as somebody
hit me. This time, through no fault of our own, we didn't even get the
chance to see how reliable we would be.''